Thursday 25 May 2017

case study

For my project, I have decided to do 3 tracks each containing hip hop RnB and Neo soul. For my case study, I will solve how to play Neo soul chords.

Neo-soul chords are quite complex in terms of the way it's played and how it's played and used in Neo soul music.
http://www.hearandplay.com/main/neo-soul-chords-minor-chords
(Accessed 11 May 2017)

This website show how Neo soul chords are played. What I got from this website is that they mostly played in minor 7 which also give it was jazzy feel to the chords.

This is a tutorial of Erykah Badu's song other side of the game. in this video, the person goes through the chords that are in the song which is neo-soul chords. 
the chords are:
                     A
 
       E 
       F
       B 
       G
       
       E
       C
       D



this tells me that Neo soul is mostly played in minor chords.


how I plan to use this method is to play most of my chords in minor chords and a lot of nice clashing notes to giving a sense of fullness to the piano sound.








this is a score for the chords i played in my track. The chords are:

F# maj7
F 7
Db maj7
Ab
Bb m add 9
Bb no 3 5/7
F# add 9
Ab 6
Bb m
F 7 sus4
F# add 9
F m 9
F# mak7/#11 sus2 
F# 6
F#
F


this is the start of my Neo-soul track. for the chords, I used a lot of clashing notes and minor chords as I researched with Erykah Badu track. 





No comments:

Post a Comment